Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Lenten Graces

Lent has always been special to me.
As a kid, I used to realize it only when Mum stopped cooking meat and fish.It used to be hard to abstain when we were in school but practice and the enlightenment on the significance of the observance made things manageable.
Palm Sunday,which opens the Holy Week sees the procession with yellow green fronds,the mini-stampede( that results from the mad rush to get them),and artistically gifted dads making crosses (and even other shapes)out of the fronds to amuse their bored kids.The media men jostle with each other to get the best shot of the day.Incidentally,my first appearance on national television was on one such a day.The prime time news showed me, a toddler of four,frolicking on the church ground ,brandishing the palm leaf.It had a wide viewership among my relatives(it was those dark ages with only Doordarshan)who describe the scene whenever they see me and make me go pink in the face.
On Maundy Thursday we would be at our native place in Ernakulam,gathered around the table for the Pesaha feast.It was an occasion for a family members to gather.The men folk turn up only when it was time to partake of the Inriappam and the Pesaha paal and declare that those in nighties are representatives of Judas Iscariot! This would cause the poor women to rush to their rooms and change into their saris.The ones who get the small crosses,made from tiny strips of the palm leaf, were pronounced 'lucky'.
I used to be scared to sleep at night, with the moon light streaming into the room,for fear of the Angel of Doom looming outside.It took an explanation from Dad, that we had marks on our heart to save us from the angel's sword,to calm my fears.As kids,we never saw the inside of the church during those three days.It was naturally crowded and Dad gladly took the opportunity to take us for a stroll by the lake behind the church and meet up with his old friends,doing exactly the same thing with their kids.
When we reached high school,Neil and I declared that we'd rather celebrate our Holy Week in Trivandrum.By then we had become fans of church music and bought prayers books to use for those days.
The Way of the Cross caught our special interest with it's magnetic music inlaid with cathartic pathos.We even started doing it in our home with rosaries positioned in 14 places around the living room.
Back in Trivandrum they annually conduct a combined Way of the Cross which brings together the Catholics of the city.It gave a sense of pride and unity to be a part of the solemn crowd that paraded the city.
Good Friday sees the maximum turn out at our parish.Classmates whom we never knew to be of the same parish,teachers,friends, good-looking gals and guys(wonder where this group hibernates for the rest of the year ?) ; a sea of familiar faces.The hot 'kanji',and mango pickle served for the lunch on Good Friday fast always tastes like ambrosia.If the volunteers were your friends you were sure to get a liberal helping of the 'kaippu neer'(juice of bitter gourd leaves) .The wry faces after tasting the juice and the railings of the church stained in green(that's the fate of the 'liberal' helping) ,the heart wrenching song "Gagultha Malayil ninnum..",the crowd elbowing each other to kiss the life-size statue of Jesus are all vivid memories of the day.As on cue down comes the Good Friday special rain.The perfect end to the day of sorrow.
It was only five years ago that I made my first pilgrimage to Malayatoor.The first visit was more of a pleasure trip because we went as a group from the youth organization.We started the ascend at one in the morning.In the dim lights it was impossible to guess the topography of the place.Far above, shone star like specks which later turned out to be the street lights positioned along the route.I was out of breath before I reached Station One.Atop the mount, I was mesmerized by the beauty of the place than it's religious significance.A panoramic view of the Periyar flowing serenely into the valley ,the valley draped in mist with a thousand shades of green,the cool breeze at 2 in the morning;how I wished to paint it as it was!
The next day however I was down with my legs revolting in pain.The second visit gave me an opportunity to sing during Mass at the hilltop.I was thrilled to hear my voice ring in that sacred chapel blessed by presence of the saint.
The Saturday before Easter is like limbo.We wait eagerly for the big day ahead.By evening the kitchen bustles with activity.Smells which had gone missing for 50 days waft about temptingly and give you a glimpse of the scrumptious feast in store.
Easter Sunday rituals begin at the wee hours of the morning and hence is usually characterized by a sparsely populated church.It takes a mammoth effort to stay awake during the homily.And when you have just thought you have done a good job,the priest sharing pleasantries after Mass,says"Hey, I saw you nodding off!"
Easter dishes feel like them only if you follow the abstinence rigorously.Dad used to hide Easter eggs (those Cadbury ones with Nutties inside)and sent us on a treasure hunt.

Last year,I celebrated Easter Mass at the Basilica in Ernakulam.Inspite of the Mass by the Cardinal,the spectacular and dramatic staging of the Resurrection,and the presence of a very fashionable crowd and I felt hollow in my heart.
Not a single familiar face,in the 500 strong crowd that night !
The biggest deprivation of our transplant to Ernakulam - the social element.Now I understand what used to make the days of this week so special.The Lord rises without a doubt,the rituals and prayers are almost similar in both places,the feast is equally delicious but the real cheer lies in the friendly faces,the smiles and simple wishes of "Happy Easter!" which flow from the profundity of the heart.

Wish you all a warm and Grace filled Easter!

12 comments:

mathew said...

"The ones who get the small crosses,made from tiny strips of the palm leaf, were pronounced 'lucky'."

simply reminds me how exactly the same used to happen at home..maybe the pressures to act 'mature' doesnt allow us derive such simple joys..

Easter was special like you said..enjoyed that way of the cross from palayam around the stadium and finally to Lourdes....more because it felt like a show of strength and being part of a crowd..and a faith..For me easter was more special than Xmas in many ways.I love the songs in 'way of the cross' ..esp the one you mentioned ...although as a kid tried the max to avoid 'kneeling down'..;-P

Happy easter to you too..

Jiby said...

2 years back i was in delhi...i preponed my trip to tvm by a few days just to be in tvm for the Holy Week...i don't know why i had that sudden fervour, maybe it was because i had missed it for many years.

you atleast realized it was lent when your mom stopped cooking meat...one day i asked my mom why there was no meat and fish for a few weeks now. she looked at me with dismay and asked me whether i had been eating them outside. I said, yes naturally, since you werent cooking here. and she gave me a hard pinch on my arms...and that is when i realized why!

haha...very true...it is on Holy Week that we see all the Lourdes parish members! But Good Friday, I have to go for the nercha kanji at St.Mary's...in addition to the Kanji and Mango achaar they have a most delicious payar curry/thorran too...it never tastes as good elsewhere.

Happy Easter in advance!

silverine said...

That last line is so true! Wishing people after the Easter or Xmas Mass has a special significance! Last year I sent a few of my cuz bros to Sacred Heart, Richmond Road for Xmas Mass as they didn't have leave to go to Kerala. Later they told me that they were pleasantly surprised to see strangers coming and wishing them after the service. Thats old Bangalore parishes for you! :) The creativity with the Palm Leaf is amazing. It has reached new heights in Blr. I saw an amazing variety of shapes this year!

As kids, you are clamoring to fast and you are not allowed. Then you
are clamoring not to when you have to :p Then you grow up a bit and begin to appreciate it. And I firmly believe that an Easter celebration is hollow if you didn't follow noyambu!:)

p.s this week almost all the Google search terms that bought people to my Think Pad was "indriappam" because I had written a post on it last Easter :) Very nice post!

Neena Padayatty said...

@mathew
Guess that Way of the Cross is special to the faithful in Tvm.Miss it dearly as much i love it...
@jiby
Ofcourse,the payyar thoran!thought i missed out something.Thanks!
@silverine
I ve heard about the friendly Banglorean parishoners from friends..three cheers to them!...Is it Indriappam?I read somewhere that it gets the name from the INRI of the cross..

N A R I YA L C H U T N E Y said...

:).Wow! This is such a nostalgic post . Reminds me of those wonderful times we use to have in our ancestral home . Pesahah , Way of the Cross and Easter comes every year but somehow still has the same freshness attached to it. Social "Deprivation" is a problem not only after easter masses but on many occasions. One way for us to realise the value of good old days :)). Happy Easter to you :P.

anN-series said...

i have never seen anyone remember easter and the church so fondly. i was once tricked into walking the stations of the cross when i was 7-it became my first tryst with cross-trichur marathon. somehow i like xmas more than easter-might be because we have Xmas vacations and never easter vacations...
Happy Easter to u...

Neena Padayatty said...

@nariyal chutney
Good to know the post served it's purpose...thanks for visiting
@ann series
My parish was my second home,the center of my social circle...for us Easter comes during the summer hols in school.Thanks for dropping by:)

Mathew Jose said...

Very good post. I was googling for "gagultha malayil ninnum song" and stumbled upon this .
After a long gap of around 15 years I attended a malayalam suriyani catholica church for 3 continuos days in Long Island Newyork .what a difference it made in me, i cannot say in words. Made me recollect all the kurishinte vazhi I did in my younger days in trivandrum and how I used to carry the center cross during the kurishinte vazhi with two assistant parish boys ( carrying what, I do not remeber) on my left and right and looking straight in the face of many of the good looking gals in my church who are looking at me(and Jesus in the station) with eyes closed in prayer.


One more thing :This is my very first blog posting and i really like starting to blog on a good subject.

silverine said...

You are tagged! Check out Think Pad :)

Neena Padayatty said...

@mathew
thanks for stopping by...always a pleasure to hear from nostalgic Tvmites..:)Best of luck with ur blog.

Mind Curry said...

in our church, all these years one DySP was always in charge of the mango pickle during the Good Friday kanji session..and he serves the exact quantity..and nobody dares to ask more..but now hes retired, and this year he smiled while serving..although the quantity was the same..

Neena Padayatty said...

LOL!...thanks for visiting...:)