Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Streak of Gold

Olympics in the air and India shines golden for the first time.
A perfect time to think about the sports I ever dared to engage in.Now if you thought I was a budding P.T Usha or an Anju Bobby George,well ,I'm not responsible.

Though I made it into the world three minutes before my brother,it didn't exactly make me faster for life.My Ammamma used to recount how we mastered clambering up the stairs at our ancestral home a few weeks after we flipped over and started crawling.Neil zoomed up to the seventh step on all his fours while I languished on step one with a slow but determined pace.
The next target was the mango tree in our frontyard of our home in Trivandrum.It was the kind which was "climb-able"and provided an alternative entry to the terrace apart from the stairs behind the house.Neil devised systematic method to climb up and I naturally copied it.We had capital times on that mango tree though it was home to an army of red ants.

Neil's school provided him with all the official sports like cricket,football and basketball.It was during our summer vacations at Kothamanagalam that our girl cousins and I got to see his sporting talents.All of us, girls were good sports(if I may use the term)and shared the natural interest for cricket.We had matches with two member teams,rubber balls and madal bats and somehow Neil's team always won.We also played a crude sport which involved a wicker chair and a beach ball.One stands about 20 meters apart from it and aims to put the ball into the chair.My team lost many a time in that one too.

We got our first bicycle on our fourth birthday.Neil insisted on a BSA Champ while I settled for a pretty Russian doll.Ofcourse he didn't learn to cycle at that age nor on that cycle.However it catered to my purpose several years later.And I am proud to say that I learned it by myself(with a little help from the compound wall and the gate which sustained several scrapes and grazes).Shuttle cork caught us like a rage.We spent days playing tournament after tournament on the terrace.This sport also involved adventurous activities like dropping down to the sun-shade,trespassing the adjacent terrace and chasing the neighbour's dog to retrieve the cork.Sometimes we used to play past twilight with the emergency lamp on.

We were seven when Roller Skating became the talk of the town.The mornings early 90s saw a small group of people-young and old-on colorful skates, gliding around the Museum grounds.It was again Neil who signed up for it first.Papa and I would jog along while he "walked" with heavy skates with red wheels, falling down occasionally,only to get up with his characteristic smile, though his knees bled.A few days later,I decided to join in.We get a new pair of skates from the dusty old sports-shop at Pulimood and the next morning, I'm on wheels!

It was hard,the first few days.I scraped a lot of skin off my knees,and bit back the pain.But gradually the baby steps gave way to a smooth glide and soon I was zooming around with the others.There was a Skating rink at the Shangumugham beach and we spent a lot of our evenings there.We were enrolled in a local skaters association who called themselves the "All Kerala Skating Federation"(just like there is a Taj hotel at Thrikkariyoor ).What more,they conducted All Kerala Skating meets too.So one fine morning Neil and I geared up for our first ever 1 Km race.The race course was the by-pass at Chacka(back then it was under construction).There were four guys and me(for some unknown reason girls of my age kept away from the sport) at the starting point.

On your mark...get set...ready....go!

The guys lunged forward and were gone in a flash! Though taken aback for a moment, I dashed forward to join them.Soon I was out of breath.1 Km was a long way for my dainty legs.I could hardly see the retreating backs of my co-participants.Tears leaked out of my eyes.The toast we had in the morning had long been transformed into calories.My vision blurred,the few onlookers on either side sniggered,but Papa, who was jogging alongside,egged me on.I crossed the finishing line to find the boys already cooling their heels.

The next event was a State meet which was held at the Jimmy George Indoor Stadium.It was our birthday and we signed up for "Free Styles",Time Trails" and "Pair skating".Pair skating required partners to display those postures like "half-camel" ,"full-camel",spin and jump(if you can) in perfect sync.The lights are on us and the music begins.Neil and I glide smoothly over the floor.We do couple of "half-camels" and trace out "eights".There were moments when we fumbled in indecison.
However when the results were announced, we won the gold medal !
More than anything,I suspect ,we might just have looked natural together,and after all it was our day! I still remember skating forward to receive the medals We had them around our necks till it was time for bed.Just a tawdry piece of metal plated in gold with a navy blue ribbon,but that night it was pure gold!

It didn't take a genius to tell me that I was not the athletic kind.So I settle for the next best way to be a "sport"-Watch it on Tv :-)!

Viva Olympics! Congratulations to Abhinav Bindra!
and
Happy Independence day to all!

8 comments:

mathew said...

You are probably the most nostalgia inducing blogger!!;-)

We were an all boys gang of cousins and naturally our sport activities included madal cricket, then raakvau-adiyaan naadakkams, playing michael jackson's dangerous and dapankuthu wildely on a bed(I cant imagine how much we had driven all the aunts mad with our antics) and then we had our version of 'oil for food programmes'..It was 'cutting the grass in the courtyard for a movie'!! ;-D

Instead of a mango tree we had a perrakka tree at my native place and we 4 cousins were the 'official monkeys' dangling there most of the time!!

I remember those skating rings in shanghumugam though I never did take part in that...I was happy with my Hercules MTB cycle which when I look back carries lot of memories with it!!

aah..am writing too much..bringing back a flood of memories..

Deepti said...

Nice post :) I used to play hockey in school .. now i doubt if I would be able to run 10m without panting :(

jj said...

hilarious
summers at kothamangalam? hey my maternal house s there too...
gold medallist? way 2 go gal...
the dusty old sport shop at pulimoodu... I remember that one.


It didn't take a genius to tell me that I was not the athletic kind.So I settle for the next best way to be a "sport"-Watch it on Tv :-)! ROTFL...good one... and I should say same pinch for that ;)

George said...

You are different kind of Robert Frost "Begins messy but ends in delight"

Compared to many other girls of your age , you had a fuller childhood thanks to your papa. Thats what I understand from you blog posts, especially this one. So many thanks to him also.

Neena Padayatty said...

@mathew

I'm the kind who's "lost in the past" at times...:)

"...playing michael jackson's dangerous and dapankuthu wildly on a bed..."

LOL!Devising summer pastimes is creative in itself.

@deepti
Hockey? Chak de,Deepti!;-D
yes..that's the sad story in my case too.

@jj
Maternal home in Kothamangalam?good to know that!...hehe..join the club!

@george
Thanks for that reality check....and yes,you are right,my Papa's one in a million...will pass the compliment.:)

mea culpa said...

Nice post...Nostalgic...

Neena Padayatty said...

@mea culpa

Thanks for visiting :)

Mayank said...

makes for an awesome read. Thanks :)