Friday, June 6, 2008

That Yew-tree's Shade...

Mum and I are seated on a rickety bench at the rear end of the cemetery chapel.There are a few other women seated,at random in the faded plastic chairs.The altar wall features a huge Crucifix with the sculpture of the Pieta at it's foot.The tabernacle is conspicuously absent.The floor of the chapel is made of marble slabs,all black,bearing the inscriptions of the ones that sleep beneath.We are here to attend the funeral of some venerable old man who passed away the night before.We were in no way related to the departed soul except that we belong the same parish prayer group.We wait in solemn silence as a small group of mourners slowly make their way towards the chapel.The cross and candle bearers in front,then the young asst.vicar walking with brisk steps,the bereaved family and friends and finally the coffin.They place the coffin on a table ominously covered in black ,in the center of the chapel.The priest and his assistant begin a brief prayer while the rest of us look on ,occasionally throwing furtive glances at the open coffin.
Soon the prayers are done and the coffin is carried to a six feet long ditch among the numerous graves in the yard.Mum and I are relegated to the outer circle and hence cannot see what is going on.A few minutes into the prayer,one of the prayer group leaders' is seen handing out frankincense to the ones in approachable distance.The priest's voice is heard saying "...to dust shalt thou return."A few audible sniffs from the inner circle(which was relatively silent till now)tell us that the old man was saying his final goodbye.Some move forward to throw the incense into the grave,the sound of ropes slipping,and then of soft mud falling in.Another laid to rest.

The last time I was at a similar function was for my dear grandmother's funeral.I surely was not the unaffected observer then.Ammamma now rests in the row immediately near the chapel steps.Someone had then joked "Teacher(as she was popularly known)can hear Mass everyday!"

Graveyards were always disturbing places to me as a child.It still does, but for a different reason.I never liked attending Requiem Masses unless it was for family members.The prayers gave me an eerie feeling,the tune of the hymns,haunting and the piece of silk with a cross that was spread on the floor,scary.As I grew older I decided it was high time I tried understand the inevitable truth than trying to shy away from it.The stint in the parish youth organization gave me several occasions to conquer my fears.It was part of our duty to keep prayers going in a bereaved house.Being in the church choir meant singing at Requiem Masses and that made me realize the beauty and solace in the prayers involved.

The cemetery here must be unique with it's custom of a regular Eucharistic celebration.After Ammamma's passing I make it a point to attend Mass there atleast once a week.I was surprised at the turn out there.About a hundred turn up at 8 in the morning on weekdays.Most of them have their dear ones interred in the thirty cent cemetery.One of the asst.vicars,announcing his transfer,remarked that the gathering at the cemetery were well acquainted with the sorrow of parting.On the chapel floor one finds the rich and famous parishioners, showing off even in their final sleep,with the details of the positions they adorned when alive and kicking.It used to give me the creeps to think about standing or sitting over a dead person.The tombs outside are also an interesting study.There are a few elaborate marble tombs with carvings and some with engraved pictures of the deceased.Some of them have ornate crosses and mournful angels while one,I noticed with a shock, sported a skull and crossed bones!

Ammamma had a freedom fighter spinster for a neighbour until the latter's term was over and they buried someone much younger there.By the gate ,is a tiny tomb,about one feet in length,of "a warrior who fought bravely"(the epitaph read),a baby who lived only for two days.

I've always wondered the paradox in celebrating the Eucharist(the sacrament of Life) in the house of the dead.There is nothing about the chapel that is soothing ,comforting or hopeful.Yet why does such a big crowd gather there every day and pray with devout fervor?The answer probably is,the awareness of the absolute truth,that lies under their feet.

I had no time to hate, because
The grave would hinder me,
And life was not so ample I
Could finish enmity.

Nor had I time to love, but since
Some industry must be,
The little toil of love, I thought,
Was large enough for me.

-'I Had No Time To Hate, Because', Emily Dickinson




Picture courtesy
www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/mba0630l.jpg

5 comments:

George said...

The last four lines of the poem , went over my head , I guess same with laymen.The cartoon in the end was good selection. ,Nice post altogether , especially the line about the "reality" that lies below.I believe thats why they celebrate the mas there. Those alive and present will be more receptive to the idea that "repent or ,thy doom is near". I always make it a point to visit my parish cemetry , whenever I go to church . Its like taking attendance..and we have 100% all the time. Now thats six sigma quality and I like that.There I have often thought about , whats it like to be buried in such a small place, suppose you become alive , after they have placed the concrete..!!! I then rush back home....

silverine said...

You have painted a picture with words here! :) Beautifully crafted post! Way to go 'William Van Gogh' :)

I detest the air of gloom that hangs over funeral and cemeteries in Kerala. Agreed it is hard to see your loved one depart. But people overdo it even for very old people. I like the peaceful atmosphere of cemeteries here in Blr. If you ever come to Bangalore,do visit the English cemetery on Hosur Road near Johnson Market. A pool of green sereneness within an urban desert!

Neena Padayatty said...

@george
Dickinson speaks about the brevity of life,and she feels it is too short to hate or love with magnitude..so she considers the brief affairs she had quite sufficient...and yes,the idea of the 'small place' is just claustrophobic.Merci :)

@silverine
Van Gogh!...i don't deserve that,but thank u :)..Wanted to put a picture of one of those green cemeteries but thought it would make the post all the more bleak.

mathew said...

saw this entry some time back..but as soon I started reading it, I wanted to read it later in a more relaxed frame of mind..

As other commenters say, there is a poetic charm to this post..I have the same feeling when I attend an opees..Sometimes I am hell bent on skipping that just to avoid the feeling.(use of 'hell' unintentional ;-P)


P.S.My folks are here and hence dont get time to stick to the blog world for sometime..

Neena Padayatty said...

@mathew
A pleasure to see u here,early or late...Maybe i should have kept this post for Halloween or All Soul's Day.

Thank u...and have a wonderful time with ur folks :)!